If you are reading this either your parents brought up therapy or you have requested it for yourself. Either way we are glad you are here and hope this information is helpful. At Giesken Counseling Services our therapists want to help you with whatever it is that led you here to this page. We believe you are the expert in your life and your therapist will work with you to determine your goals for therapy.
We provide therapy for teens dealing with a variety of concerns. Sometimes it is helpful to have someone listen to you. You may be feeling down or anxious from day to day and not even know why. Maybe you had a fight with a parent or friend and aren’t quite sure how to resolve it. It’s possible you are feeling overwhelmed, frustrated or angry and want help managing your emotions. Whatever it is, we are here to help. You and your therapist will discuss your specific needs and develop goals together.
At Giesken Counseling Services we believe that your parents and home life play an important role in how you may be feeling. That is why we will work to include your family in therapy if you would like. Your therapist can work with you to assist in expressing your feelings appropriately to family members if this is needed.
Common Reasons Teen’s Come To Therapy
- Depression– Sometimes you feel down or hopeless and can’t really explain why.
- Low self esteem or not feeling good about yourself
- Self harm or thoughts of suicide
- Issues with friends or bullying
- Relationship trouble with parents
- Parents are going through a divorce and you moved/changed schools or other major life changes
- Difficulty concentrating
- Your grades have dropped and you’re having a hard time catching up
- Grief/Loss– You have had a loved one die and your having a difficult time coping with it
- Trauma– You have experienced something awful that happened and just can’t stop thinking about it
- Nightmares or difficulty sleeping
- You feel nervous about the future and are feeling overwhelmed
- Anxiety-Sometimes you feel nervous and have difficulty controlling it or avoid situations because of it
For Parents and Guardians
If you are looking for a therapist for your teen we encourage you to get them involved. Let them look online and at therapists profiles so they feel part of the process. At Giesken Counseling Services our therapists attempt to establish a mutually respectful relationship with their teen clients. That is why we will get information from you either prior to your teens first session, over the phone, or at the start of the first session. We respect our client’s privacy and confidentiality so while your teen’s therapist will give you updates on progress, detailed conversation will not be provided. Of course if a safety concern exists our therapists are obligated to inform the teen’s parent or legal guardian and they will provide guidance.
Online counseling for Teens
At Giesken Counseling Services we recognize that for teens it can be scary to think of meeting with a therapist for the first time online. However, online counseling can be just as effective as in person therapy. That is why we have developed an easy and secure way for you to not only talk with your therapist but see them as well. Through our video platform you will feel like you are in your therapists office right from the comfort of your own home. Your only responsibility is to make sure you are in a private location and have access to a phone, tablet or computer.
How to get started today
Call us today to get your teen started in therapy. We are standing by to listen to your concerns for them and will schedule them with a trained therapist to fit their needs. Teen’s are experiencing a tremendous amount of uncertainty. Therapy for your teen can help. Don’t hesitate, contact us today!