Everyone experiences grief and loss at some point in their life. Whether it is the loss of a job, divorce/separation, death of a loved one, death of a pet, or relocation to a new home it is normal to grieve. Not allowing yourself to experience your grief can be detrimental and could lead to depression, unhealthy coping mechanisms (resorting to drugs or alcohol), and long- term mental health effects.
Many times, people experience the whirlwind of grief and feel like they are “going crazy” or “losing their mind.” The deep sense of despair that grief leaves with us can alter our sense of concentration, our memories, our sense of time, and leave us in a fog attempting to move through daily life. No matter how prepared we think we are, we can never quite be ready for the devastation grief can bring to our lives.
During this time, it can be helpful to have a grief therapist who can help you to navigate these difficult emotions. The goal of grief counseling is to provide a supportive presence to assist in helping you navigate these uncomfortable emotions, listen to your story, and develop goals to assist you in moving through this grief journey.
5 Ways Grief Counseling can help
- Even though it may be difficult for you to describe your pain, a therapist can help you find the words you need and explore what you can expect during this difficult time.
- We can help with tips to honor and memorialize your loved one which can bring about a sense of comfort.
- We can offer helpful skills to assist in daily coping of negative and painful emotions.
- We can offer helpful resources related to grief support groups or ways to get connected to others experiencing grief within your community.
- A therapist can also help to explore what a “new normal” may look like and assist in developing steps to help you get there.
At Giesken Counseling Services we recognize that it can be difficult to take the first step in getting started with therapy, especially if you are amid your own grief. We would be honored to walk this very difficult and uncomfortable journey with you. Our therapists are ready to help you so you can begin to find joy and peace again. Please contact us today and we will discuss your specific needs.
Online grief counseling is also offered through secure video platform. Your therapist will be able to assist you through your grief journey from the comfort of your own home. Contact us today to discuss how to get started with online grief counseling.